‘The Tree’ began life in c.1850 as a Beer House when Peter Dean, Sr, and his wife, Naomi Elbourn, inherited it and a cottage at 5 Bar Lane from her father, William Elbourn. They continued operating it until at least 1868 when it and its adjacent cottage were put up for sale. It is not clear if they ever sold, since Naomi and their son Elbourn continued to operate the Beer House until at least 18811.
Subsequently, it was renamed ‘The Millwrights Arms’, where Peter, listed as a publican, Naomi and three of their children, including Peter Dean Jr. were recorded in the 1871 Census1.
In the 1891 Census, a Joseph Baynes is listed as running a public house on Bar Lane. By the 1901 Census it was called ‘The Tree’ (from 1895?) operated by Eversden Beavis1.
It was rebuilt in 1979 and continued to operate as a pub until 2013 when it closed.